A tisket, a tasket; want to weave a basket? Using an old strawberry basket, show your child how to make a pretty basket with a handle—a great way to celebrate Little Red Riding Hood. Weaving ribbons through the holes is good for hand-eye coordination and patience. She can use pastels to make this into a darling Easter or spring-themed basket, or simply track down ribbons in her favorite colors.
What You Need:
- A plastic strawberry basket
- Thin ribbon (such as gift wrap ribbon) in pretty colors
- A pipe cleaner
What You Do:
- Have your child thread the ribbons through the holes in the basket. There’s no need to tie them. It’s painstaking work, but great practice in developing fine motor skills.
- Invite her to string the beads on the pipe cleaner, leaving at least an inch free at each end.
- Twist the pipe cleaner into a curved handle with the beads at the top.
- Loop one end of the pipe cleaner through one side of the basket and twist closed.
- Have her repeat the same techniques on the other side.